• Cotton Grower

Gap Inc. Joins U.S. Cotton Trust Protocol

By Cotton Grower Staff|December 21, 2020



Global apparel retailer Gap Inc. has joined the U.S. Cotton Trust Protocol to help it achieve its corporate strategy to use only 100% sustainably-sourced cotton by 2025.


Gap Inc.’s sourcing target is set across its collection of purpose-led lifestyle brands including Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta.


The Trust Protocol will help Gap Inc. meet this goal by providing verified data on the sustainability practices used on U.S. cotton farms. Participating cotton growers will benefit from data-driven insights and best practices from across the industry, as well as a stronger connection to brands asking for sustainably-grown cotton.


The Trust Protocol opened for membership in October 2020 and provides brands and retailers with the critical assurance they need to prove that the cotton in their supply chain is more responsibly grown.


“Continuous improvement is important to Gap Inc., which is why we have decided to begin sourcing more sustainable fiber through the U.S. Cotton Trust Protocol,” said Alice Hartley, Director of Product Sustainability for Gap Inc. “As part of our commitment to address climate change by aligning with the best science and industry practices, we have ambitious targets across metrics to lower carbon emissions and preserve precious natural resources like water.



“As an American company with purpose-led brands committed to sustainability, joining the U.S. Cotton Trust Protocol makes perfect sense,” she added. “With two thirds of U.S. cotton not using any irrigation at all, this allows us to further our commitment to sustainable cotton and enables us to support U.S. cotton growers.”

Gap Inc. began sourcing from sustainably-grown cotton programs in 2016 and, within three years, more than half (57%) of the cotton in its products came from these sources. It joined the U.S. Cotton Trust Protocol to help bridge the remaining 43% to use 100% sustainably-sourced cotton across all its products by 2025.


“We are honored that Gap Inc. has chosen to work with us, because it’s a global company that takes sustainability seriously,” said Dr. Gary Adams, president of the U.S. Cotton Trust Protocol. “Gap Inc. has made significant strides since setting sustainability goals, and the Trust Protocol’s farm-level data will help it in its mission to improve its impact and protect our natural resources. By signing on to the Trust Protocol, Gap Inc. will support our shared mission to educate U.S. growers around the most sustainable growing practices and support grower enrollment.”

조회 0회

SSTS-SMPT 

Shinsung Bldg, 84, Pungseong-ro, 63-Gil, Gangdong-gu, Seoul, Korea T : +82-2-3709-9375 M : +82-10-7276-2527  E-mail : jinikong@ssts.co.kr​​